When it comes to skincare, it’s never too early to embark on an anti-aging routine, whether you’re in your 20s, 30s, or 40s. Of course, the earlier you start, the better. There are anti-wrinkle creams, eye serums, and a whole host of anti-aging skincare products available on the market designed to help reduce and even delay the signs of aging.
However, as alternative and holistic health practitioners offering holistic medicine services in Maryland, we believe that a truly effective anti-aging skincare plan begins with healthy skincare habits. These, of course, are not just about applying creams or oils to your skin. A truly efficacious skincare routine requires a holistic approach and involves lifestyle changes.
And since the approach is holistic, you can expect to benefit in the following ways:
• Clear, bright complexion
• Firm, youthful-looking skin
• Reduction or delay in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
• Reduction of skin cancer risk
• Better immunity to fight off infections
In creating an anti-aging skincare plan, make sure you practice the healthy skincare habits discussed below. These are well-supported by years of research and are endorsed by beauty and skincare experts.
Anti-aging skincare essentials
Starting an anti-aging skincare plan involves simple practices that can easily turn into habits. These are not only beneficial to the skin but also to your overall health.
The importance of sun protection
The foundation of every skincare regimen, sun protection is essential as sun exposure is the main culprit of photoaging. Aside from drying out the skin and leading to premature wrinkling, inadequate sun protection increases your risk of developing skin cancer. The harmful UV rays of the sun are the root cause of the majority of skin cancer cases. So make it a point to always seek shade, especially between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. when the sun’s rays are at their most concentrated.
Whenever you are going outdoors, use an umbrella or wear a wide-brimmed hat. Wear long sleeves and pants, as well as gloves to protect your hands. To delay the formation of fine lines around the eyes, always wear sunglasses.
If you’re not wearing clothes that can protect your skin all over, slather on sunscreen. For natural sunscreen products, the two most common natural ingredients used are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. However, there are also other natural sunscreen boosters you can look into, including plant-based ingredients. These include:
• Bee propolis
• Raspberry (also great for safely achieving a natural tan)
• Shea butter
• Aloe vera
• Alder buckhorn
• Buriti oil
• Achiote (Bixa Orellana)
As much as possible, use a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher and that offers water resistance. However, be on the lookout for the ingredients to ensure it contains natural sources.
Other healthy skincare habits
• Avoid indoor tanning facilities that expose your skin to harmful UV rays as these hasten skin aging.
• Always moisturize your skin (face, body, lips) on a daily basis. You can use natural moisturizers readily available in your kitchen such as coconut oil, avocado, honey, oats, olive oil, cucumber, yogurt, or buttermilk. There are also tons of good resources online providing recipes for natural facial masks.
• Cleanse your face daily, and use warm water for the best results. Stick to natural cleansers and avoid using soap. Also, be gentle on your skin and avoid rubbing.
• Stop bad habits like smoking and drinking alcohol. These are toxic not only to the skin but also to the body’s organs. Tobacco, especially, leads to dry, dull, leathery skin and premature wrinkling.
• A healthy diet comprising plenty of fresh vegetables, fruits, healthy fats and lean proteins is highly recommended.
• Stay hydrated by drinking lots of water. Avoid sugary juices, sodas, and similar drinks that don’t do your skin any favors.
• Make sure you have adequate quality sleep daily (about seven to eight hours). Sleep-deprived skin is dull and dry. Moreover, sleep deprivation is a precursor to a whole host of other health problems.
• Exercise to get rid of toxins and to give your skin a fresh, bright glow.
• Manage stress to have a positive outlook in life and to prevent anxiety and depression.
If you want to use specific anti-aging or anti-wrinkling beauty products, it’s best to consult a health professional or a skincare specialist.